Sunday, January 16, 2011

Who said WRITING IS NOT FUN?

Assalamualaikum and good day to all (Hehe, no more Salam 1 Malaysia),

I was having extremely GOOD TIME with my lessons last week. I was doing SPEAKING (with 2G class) as well as WRITING (with the classes that I am sharing with other senior lecturers). In this entry, I would like to suggest other teachers and lecturers (who happened to read my blog lah kan) to conduct this activity at least once. Trust me, it is worth providing the students mahjong papers and markers.. Hehe...

It is a simple writing activity actually and all you need to have is that MAJHONG papers + markers (more than one because students will do this activity in group) + speakers (the most important teaching aids) + Ipod (you can also use radio and etc.)

I don't know why, but the first two paragraphs of this entry are SOOO serious. Hahaha.. Ok, moving on.. Hehe... I was having problems during the instructions session because basically STUDENTS LOVE to talk (especially when you ask them to get in groups). PREDICTABLE!!!! Then I asked them to come out with one topic and write it on the mahjong paper (like I always said: TOP, MIDDLE of the mahjong paper). I give them the freedom to choose the topic EXCEPT for POLITICS, RELIGIONS and other sensitive issues.

To my surprised (Cewah!!!), my students come out with topics such as HOW TO LOOK STUPID IN CLASS, Z.O.M.G, DEODORANTku(they actually spell it DEODORENT), FASHA SANDHA IN BALI and other crazy topics (trust me, they are crazy). Once the music starts, one person in every groups will write the sentence and once I stopped the music, they should pass the mahjong paper to the next group so that the other group will continue the sentence. After few minutes, I heard laughing and I know that their paragraphs are NO LONGER MAKE SENSE.

It was good to see them laugh, thinking of what to write, teamwork as well as cheating (They stopped writing while the music is still on). But most important thing is that, I am satisfied that I let them expressed their thought freely about the topic. Ofcourse, by the end of the lesson, when they were presenting, the paragraph was totally out of topic. They can't even decide on the main idea as well as supporting details. Hehehe...

The best part of the lesson was that, I am able to see my students from 2D to WALK ON A RUNAWAY (I am impress that some of my male students can actually walk like a female models)..The girls from 2D can actually sing and they have hidden talent that I manage to discover. Haha.. In fact, my students from 2A, the male students can actually do 'JOGET'. Hahaha... They are very sporting and I hope that I can make BEL 260 is a memorable subject to them. InsyAllah

I am looking forward to teach my students and also to learn new things from them as well. Before I go, I am sorry if some of the students do not like my style and I hope that I can improve from time to time. Till here, take care and have a nice day

5 comments: